Monday, September 14, 2009

Apples to Apples

If heaven exists, it would be an apple orchard.

Across the street from a peanut butter factory.

And I, armed with a knife and a spoon, would have unlimited access to both.

Yesterday I went with Hillel to Littletree Orchards in Newfield, NY for some pre-Rosh Hashanah apple picking. And being that apples are one of my favorite foods, I was like a kid with a golden ticket in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: very hungry and a little crazy.

Then again, I'm always hungry and crazy so I guess this wasn't out of the norm for me.


The plan was for everyone to work together to pick three bushels of apples: one for use to share, one to share with students on Rosh Hashanah, and one to donate to Loaves and Fishes, which is a local soup kitchen.

Unfortunately, not too many of the apples seemed ready for picking yet. It was safe to taste the apples right off the trees, and I didn't encounter any that were particularly delicious. We managed to get three bushels, but it was tough work and I can't say how many of those apples are actually going to taste good.


Although the pears were very tasty.

Oh well, Applefest is in two weeks.

A weekend-long festival dedicated to my favorite food. I am the luckiest kid on earth.

0 comments: