Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"Spring" Break pt.1: Driving Through the Andes and the Importance of Listening to Customs Control

So after a brief fifteen hour bus ride to Mendoza, me and my friends Sarah J, Brenna and Lizzie hopped on a bus for Valparaiso, which is a port city on the coast of Chile. The bus took eight hours, but felt like longer because we had to get off the bus to go through border control.

A note to travelers: when a country says "don't bring produce across the border, we'll make you pay," they mean it. Both literally and figuratively. A woman on my bus tried to bring AN APPLE across the border, and after an hour and a half hold up (by which point we all wanted to flog her), she had to pay approx. $170 American for that piece of fruit.

Anyway. The Andes Mountains. Very pretty, very much larger than these photos make them out to be, and very twisty turny.

Yeah, we drove down that. And I may have raised my hands in the air like I was on a roller coaster more than once...

Three other shots of the Andes, where I have decided I want to build a cabin and be a crazy old hermit that gives water and fruit and sage advice to wayward wanderers.







I'd write about more of my trip in this post than just a bus ride, but the Internet isn't giving mama any sugar today.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Briana,
Long story short, I don't think we know each other but we're friends on facebook and the minifeed let me know that you have a travel blog so I checked it out. Anyway, I just have to say that your photos and posts about Valparaiso/Mendoza are great and bring back a lot of good memories from my last semester studying in Santiago. I literally dream about going back to Chile/Argentina and it's great to see they're grounded in reality. I don't have much to say other than that and you're a good writer, so keep it up. Hope you're taking in the whole South American experience.

Pat Farnach