Monday, May 18, 2009

"Spring" Break pt. 3: Santiago

I'm leaving for Uruguay this weekend, and I'm still not finished posting about "Spring" Break! I'm just going to have to put my homework off more, so I can play more with this blog. Not a problem.

Anyway. We stayed in Santiago for less than twenty-four hours, from Sunday night to Monday night. So I really didn't get the best impression of the city, but it was still cool to see.

For one thing, we found what has to be the craziest municipal park in the world. You have to sign a guestbook when you enter, and instead of sprawling out it sprawls UP. It's like in a giant spiral upwards, until you reach a little tower at the top and you can see the entire city.

The view from...err...pretty high up in the park. Towards the top there was a lot of smog, and made it kind of tough to take good pictures.


The park tapered off at at little tower at the top. Not for those afraid of heights or steep steps.


The high tower from below.


The park was full of beautiful fountains, sculptures, and buildings such as little chapels and memorials, and just pretty things like this. There was also a garden dedicated to Darwin. Jardin Darwin.


Me from the top, Sarah J and Brenna from below.

Afterwards we wandered around a little more, and got some lunch. I got a traditional Chilean soup, which basically consisted of chicken broth with a steak and some huge chunks of veggies thrown in. Strange, but REALLY good and something I hope to recreate.



Lizzie found a Dunkin' Donuts.

1 comments:

Pat Farnach said...

Hey Briana, cool entries on Santiago/Neruda. His houses are definitely awesome although I'm still trying to figure out why a communist party leader had three houses. And Cerro santa lucía is a nice place to go, el esmog aside - glad you enjoyed it. Still feels like a home to me. Keep up the writing.