Monday, March 30, 2009

24 de Marzo-33 anos del golpe genocida

I know, I'm a little behind with the whole "March 24" thing. But I figured you guys would like to see my pictures of the day.

March 24, 1976 is the day in which the "democratic" (and I say it in quotes because it was super corrupt) government was overthrown by the military in a coup. It was the first day of the Dirty War, in which over 30,000 innocent people would be labeled subversives and disappear. In a nutshell.

And now, every March 24th, the people of Argentina declare a national holiday and march in the streets. They have a HUGE human rights rally, and remember those they lost. I was lucky enough to attend this year's event, and here are just a few of my pictures of the day.


I would estimate that about a million people showed up for the rally in Buenos Aires. It certainly felt that way. The event was held on Avenida del Mayo, and the rest of the streets were desolated.






The "parade" line ended at the Casa Rosada, which you may remember from a previous entry as the official government house, and where the human rights organization Las Madres de Plaza de Mayo walks every Thursday. At the end of the line were the Madres on a little stage, and they gave a speech about human rights, remembering those who disappeared, and getting justice.

Also ending at the stage was a HUGE banner that stretched across the parade, covered with photos of the 30,000 who disappeared. The banner was carried over the heads of people down the middle of the street, and at the stage it was folded up.

0 comments: