Monday, June 15, 2009

Let's Go to the Movies

This is something I've wanted to post about for quite some time: movie titles. You know, some movie titles just don't translate well into Spanish. So the film companies play around with them for a bit. For instance, I was watching TV the other day and A Very Brady Sequel came on. But it wasn't A Very Brady Sequel, it was "El Impostor."

For those who don't speak Spanish, El Impostor means...The Impostor. Yeah. Thanks to the perils of translating, the Brady family's little movie was turned into a spy thriller.

Here are some others that I find curious and entertaining. There are definitely more and better ones out there, these just happen to have been on the top of my head. If I see or think of more, I'll be sure to post them later!

Revolutionary Road has become:

Only in Dreams

Confessions of a Shopaholic is:
Crazy for the Shopping

Happy Go Lucky has become:

The Happiness Brings Luck

Adventureland (which I just happened to have seen this past Saturday)

Adventureland, a Memorable Summer

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince:
Harry Potter and the Mystery of the Prince

Jersey Girl:

Single Father

Not as good as Engrish, I'm sure, but still entertaining. Or maybe I only find them entertaining because I enjoy translating them? You tell me.

Oh by the way...less than 13 days until I'm back in the States!

0 comments: